Materials refiner and supplier to the electronics and semiconductor markets Indium Corporation has expanded its flux portfolio with the addition of a new ball-attach flux, known as the WS-823.
While the standard ball-attach process requires two steps, especially on a Cu-OSP substrate, the manufacturer says the new flux is a halogen-free, water-wash flux designed for a single-step ball-attach process that eliminates the prefluxing step in order to create reliable ball-to-pad joints.
According to the company, the WS-823 provides:
- Tackiness suitable for holding solder spheres in place during reflow
- Excellent solderability on a wide range of surfaces, including AuNi and oxidized Cu-OSP
- Uniform pin transfer over extended periods, eliminating changes in joint quality over time and uneven deposit sizes, which can lead to “missing ball”
- A formula engineered for low-voiding, thereby increasing joint strength
- Good cleanability with room temperature DI water, avoiding the formation of white residuee.
Indium Corporation is a materials refiner, smelter, manufacturer, and supplier to the global electronics, semiconductor, thin-film, and thermal management markets. Its products include solders and fluxes; brazes; thermal interface materials; sputtering targets; indium, gallium, germanium, and tin metals and inorganic compounds.